Thursday, November 14, 2013

"Picado" does NOT mean "Fish"

From the Dave Files:

Scene from last week:


“I should try some fish for supper tonight.  Let’s see here… a number of options in this freezer case.  That one looks scary.  That one looks doable, but a lot of work… how about one without a head, tail and fins on it?  Oh, here’s one that’s already prepped – nice bite sized pieces… per usual, can’t tell what those other words mean, but ‘picado’ – fish, and the price seems reasonable… about s/15 a kilo – that’s just north of $2 a pound.  Let’s go with that for supper tonight.  Maybe Flor knows how to make this in some special Peruvian way.”


(rough idea of the conversation in my terrible Spanish)


D: “Flor, can you help me make this fish tonight?”

F: “What fish?”

D: “This fish.”

F: “No, that’s not fish, but it’s good.  I can help you.”

D: “What is it?”

F: (something I don’t understand)

Keturah: “I veto that.”

D: “Veto what?”

F: “It’s really pretty good.”

K: “Yeah, no way.”

D: “What is it?”
 
K: “That’s stomach – pieces of stomach.”

D: “Oh… not pescado?... Oh, it says ‘picado’… pieces… of something.”

K: “Yeah, no thanks.”

Needless to say, Flor’s dog had a special treat that night.

Ed. Note: Sorry I don't have a picture.  It was white stomach that did look a lot like fish.  Also, most of the fish here in the grocery store is on ice, with heads and tails still attached, but gutted.  I'm not sure if they do more in store when you select your fish or if you finish the preparations at home.

Further humor.  When my mom was in Peru 40 years ago as a missionary, she told people they needed to repent of their pescados (fishes); what she actually meant to say was they needed to repent of their pecados (sins).  Clearly, my family has a problem with the Spanish word for "fish."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! You may not see your comment posted immediately because I review them first.

Comment as NAME or ANONYMOUS if you do not want to have to sign in. If you add your email to your google/blog account then I have the option of directly responding to you; otherwise, check back on the post for updated comments within a day or two. Thanks for reading!