Sunday, October 26, 2014

Travel Tips Series: #1- Support Your Digestive System

I'm starting a new travel series.  With over 30 countries visited in our lifetimes, we hope we can share a few tips that will make your travels more interesting and enjoyable. (Dave did a 7 month round-the-world trip back in the 1990s, we have traveled to several countries together and as individuals, and we've been on sabbatical in Peru for 15 months now.) 

Comment below if there are specific kinds of tips you want to hear.  I'm going to be sharing packing tips, products we love, how to scope out deals, and more.

I hadn't heard of either of these two products before we moved to Peru, but now that I know about them, I will be taking them with me on all future international trips (seriously, probably domestic trips, too.)

Digestive system support: GSE and DiGize essential oil
Because who really wants to get Montezuma's revenge?

GSE: (Grapefruit Seed Extract).  This is a product that is available for purchase through Amazon (this is NOT an affiliate link) and many health food stores, like Whole Foods.  If you get the 1 ounce size, you can take it in your 3-1-1 liquids bag and still travel with carryon luggage only.  We use this to clean our fruit and vegetables- a few drops in some potable water, soak the fruit or veg for 5-10 minutes, rinse with potable water and you've killed off some potentially bad bugs.  We started out with a product here in Peru for washing but found that GSE was about one quarter the cost.  You can also put a drop or two in fresh squeezed juice, stir and wait a few minutes to minimize the chances that any little tag-along bugs will negatively impact your digestive tract. $12.49 on Amazon as of this posting and the one bottle should last for more than one trip.

DiGize: This is an essential oil from Young Living and I absolutely love it!  You can dilute this with another carrier oil, like olive oil, almond oil, or fractionated coconut oil to make it last longer.  I apply a drop or two on my belly button to support my digestive process whenever I feel a little off after eating food.  When I have applied it that way after a family member has had diarrhea, our digestive issues have cleared up within an hour or two and we have started feeling better within 10 minutes.  I typically will apply every 2-4 hours for 24 hours after a traveler's diarrhea incident- whenever our stomachs start feeling like they might be going downhill (excluding sleeping time). This oil is absorbed by rubbing on the skin and no pills are required!  If you have a wholesale membership, the DiGize bottle costs $32.75.  There are about 250 drops in a 15ml bottle, and if you dilute 50:50, it costs about 10-15 cents per application.  This bottle should last you more than one trip.

If you are interested in purchasing DiGize but aren't into essential oils, comment below and I would love to help you out.


Standard Medical Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, and can not treat, cure or diagnose you. This information is for educational purposes only. Always consult a doctor first.

I am just sharing products that have made our traveling more enjoyable. I am a distributor for Young Living Essential Oils.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! You may not see your comment posted immediately because I review them first.

Comment as NAME or ANONYMOUS if you do not want to have to sign in. If you add your email to your google/blog account then I have the option of directly responding to you; otherwise, check back on the post for updated comments within a day or two. Thanks for reading!