Friday, December 26, 2014

Deviled Eggs: Historical Food Fortnightly Challenge #15

 For background on the Historical Food Fortnightly, click here.

The Challenge: Sacred or Profane December 14 - December 27
In this challenge, be as divine or as devious as you like! It could be a food with connections to a religion, a dish served for sacred celebrations, or a concoction with a not-so-polite name. Whatever your choice, show us how naughty and/or nice you can be!

Deviled Eggs!

I haven't been on the challenge bandwagon since my parents came to visit us in Peru toward the end of November...two weeks of fun followed by a couple weeks of recovery and then Christmas meant not much extra time. But, I thought of deviled eggs as a fun Christmas treat and set out to find a historical recipe. Bonus was that I found one that didn't require mayonnaise (we never use it, so if I need it for a recipe it's an extra expense/hassle) and it had an interesting twist.

The Recipe: Deviled Eggs, Many Ways for Cooking Eggs, Sarah Rorer, [1907] (p. 51)



The Date/Year and Region: Recipe is English, published 1907 in Philadelphia.

How Did You Make It: I decided to follow her instructions for how to hard boil the eggs.  I first warmed water until it was warm but comfortable to the touch, then added the eggs.  I then heated the water to a boil by turning up the burner heat and when the water started to boil, I turned off the heat and left it for 20 minutes.  I then put the eggs into cool tap water, removed the shells after a period of time and cut the hard boiled eggs in half.  At this point, I followed the deviled egg instructions exactly except for making an additional sauce or rolling them in tissue paper fringed on the edges.  I decided that was too much work on Christmas and I'm don't have a lot of extra tissue paper here in Peru.



Time to Complete: Approximately 1 hour from start to finish.  Some of the time was passive time waiting for the eggs to boil, set, and cool.  I did use some of that time to chop the chicken (which was previously cooked so all I had to do was measure it out) and measure out my salt and pepper.

Total Cost: Approximately $5.25 USD (Eggs: 12 soles (approx. $4 at today's exchange rates), chicken maybe 2 soles or 70 cents? butter approx 50 cents, salt and pepper from pantry.)

How Successful Was It?: I thought these were delicious and judging by the rate at which we consumed the whole batch, the rest of the family thought so, too.  I would be interested in making these again with a little mustard for kick.  The chicken adds a very interesting yet delicious flavor.

How Accurate Is It?: I used all modern equipment (including a lime press instead of a sieve) but I think the end result was quite accurate.

Time to Research:  I got the idea for deviled eggs, spent a few minutes looking online for historical cookbooks and figured that a cookbook called Many Ways for Cooking Eggs had better have such a recipe.  It did.  15 minutes tops.


Our from the farm eggs


Adding them to prewarmed water per instructions

Letting the butter melt and then mixing in the salt and pepper.  I put it on top of the eggs as they cooked.

Chopped chicken with the butter, salt and pepper rubbed in, along with the eggs.

A lime squeezer was the closest thing to a sieve I had available.  I then mushed the egg yolks with the chicken.

The finished product.  There was surprisingly little extra filling- I could easily have made it work out exactly. 


3 comments:

  1. Interesting! I don't think I've ever seen chicken in deviled eggs. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure I haven't but it was really quite tasty! I think I will be doing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Very different from how we make deviled eggs today. I'm used to just yolks, mustard, mayo, paprika, and chives as the filling.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! You may not see your comment posted immediately because I review them first.

Comment as NAME or ANONYMOUS if you do not want to have to sign in. If you add your email to your google/blog account then I have the option of directly responding to you; otherwise, check back on the post for updated comments within a day or two. Thanks for reading!