| Dave: Cook and Scullery Maid |
The girls have started to eat close to normal amounts of food over the past week. Some stomach issues seem to have slowed down the pace of consumption. Just to give you a feel for the pace of cooking when we got here - a journal entry from last week:
~6:00 - Family wakes up (both M and A are remarkably consistent on this)
~7:00 - I serve up a breakfast of oatmeal
~8:00 - "I'm hungry" explains M - so I get out the breakfast food again (I've almost finished cleaning up from breakfast #1) - bowl of corn flakes.
~10:00 - 1st lunch served (I haven't left the kitchen yet) of a green salad, white beans and fruit (afterward, I clean up and prep for the next meal)
~12:00 - 2nd lunch (at a school festival) - M has two sandwiches and a drink
~1:00 - M: "I'm hungry." D: "Here's a glass of milk - the next meal is in the works."
~1:30 - K: "I'm hungry" (getting out food as I'm in the midst of the final touches of...)
~2:00 - 1st supper: bean and beef soup with rice
~4:00 - M: "I'm hungry" - snack
~6:00 - 2nd supper - something like a quarter cow and a field of corn - I forget
By 9:00 I've finished cleaning up and prepping some of tomorrow's food - anyone interested in being hired as a cook?
But now I'm in the kitchen only half the day, so that's good.
There's a bit more to every part of the process, including using Kilol (http://www.kilol.com.co/) to kill various things that apparently live on the fresh fruits and vegetables here. Learning each day.
(Ed. note: Apparently, adjusting to high altitude can bring an increase in food consumption as your body works to produce additional red blood cells.)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to read your comments! You may not see your comment posted immediately because I review them first.
Comment as NAME or ANONYMOUS if you do not want to have to sign in. If you add your email to your google/blog account then I have the option of directly responding to you; otherwise, check back on the post for updated comments within a day or two. Thanks for reading!