Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy birthday to me!

I am the first one in the family to celebrate a birthday here.  It was a wonderful day!  Dave started the morning by making my favorite pancake recipe (Four Grain Pancakes from the Joy of Cooking).  I obviously didn’t bring my tome of a cookbook down here, but fortunately someone else put it online.  I got to sleep in while Dave was cooking the pancakes and entertaining the girls.

After breakfast, I was able to hang out by myself (introverts around the world will understand what a treat that was).  I looked over my Facebook messages, read a novel, and generally enjoyed the time to myself. 

Dave and I went out for lunch downtown and I got to stop in a few shops.  We came home where I again got time to myself.  Dinner was my pick- pasta and garlic bread (neither of which I typically get at home since the rest of the family is gluten free).  And I made myself a delicious cheesecake.  Then some Skyping with family back home and a great night of sleep. 
Chocolate chip cheesecake!  Unaffected by the altitude....

M is ready to blow out the candles.
 

We aren’t typically into gifts (we tend to spend our money on travel instead of giving things).  Dave made me a fun flower bouquet with qualities written on each stem.  Mirabel drew several pictures and made a special card.  My mom sent money to buy some jewelry and Dave picked out some fun earrings.  And I got some money from my in-laws to spend on whatever I want (it’s either going to be a spa day or in-home massage). 
 

My flower bouquet.  I've been looking at one each day.
 
A bouquet of compliments.
My earrings.  You can buy a lot of sterling silver jewelry here.


We’ve been to several kid birthday parties here, but no grown up events.  I found out after my birthday that some traditions include staying up until midnight the night before to immediately wish the birthday person a happy birthday.  Some people go out drinking and there are sometimes fireworks (which seem to be the perfect complement to just about anything, based on how frequently we hear them).

It was a great birthday.




6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Keturah! It sounds like you had a wonderful day. The bouquet of compliments that Dave made you is precious and I would totally agree about going with a spa day or in-home massage. :-) Blessings in this coming new year!

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated Birthday, Keturah! Glad to hear you had a great day. Dave is a rock star with that compliment bouquet. Words of affirmation, lovely! May this year of your life be filled with all your heart desires. Peace & love, ~Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday! What a thoughtful gift from Dave - I would love to receive a bouquet of compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Belated birthday also Keturah. Dave is so thoughtful - that was a great gift for you! I know the girls had fun with your card. I so enjoy reading your blog about your life there and the traditions that you are experiencing. Hugs to all of you. Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday Keturah. It sounds like a very fun, special day that you had. Your blog is wonderful and I wish you the best in the coming year for you and the family. Hugs to all of you! Shannon

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! You may not see your comment posted immediately because I review them first.

Comment as NAME or ANONYMOUS if you do not want to have to sign in. If you add your email to your google/blog account then I have the option of directly responding to you; otherwise, check back on the post for updated comments within a day or two. Thanks for reading!