Monday, June 9, 2008

What's in a name?

Several people have asked us about Mirabel's name. We started looking for baby names probably 1-2 years before we started trying to have a kid, knowing it would take us a long time. We searched through name books and online sites, and after MUCH effort, had narrowed the list down to 4 names for each gender by the time I went into labor. (This effort involved ranking, spreadsheets, analysis of historical name trends, the approximate percentage popularity and how many people in a school of 2000 would have a name based on its specific popularity ranking- yes, we're both detail oriented.) Dave had wanted to get the names down to one; I thought having a few to choose from would be nice; since I went into labor early, I got my wish.

We wanted a name that was unique but pronounceable when you see it, has a good meaning, and that sounded pretty for a girl and strong for a boy. We named her the day after she was born and picked from our list of Clarissa, Greta, Mirabel, and Rosa. We both liked all four names (unlike our boys name list) so it was more an issue of picking the one that seemed to work best for her. We ultimately selected Mirabel, which means "wonderful" or "marvelous" and is derived from Latin. (The French/Spanish meaning is "beautiful view" which is nice, too.) Her middle name is Grace, so her name means "wonderful grace" which we mean to reference the wonderful grace of God in calling us to him through Jesus.

We plan to call her Mirabel (no nicknames for general use, though I have several pet names started, including "Baby Bell," "Mirabella-boo," and "Sweet Pea.") I'm sure she won't let me use those forever, but for now she has no choice. :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow--you guys had quite a system for names! That's good--then you don't have to scramble at the last minute in the hospital :) We were down to two names during labor, and had our nurses vote on them, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I am SO not surprised you guys used spreadsheets!! Just like the "Lechuga" I remember. :) Want me to come up with a nickname for your sweet pea?!? ;) Ha!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! You may not see your comment posted immediately because I review them first.

Comment as NAME or ANONYMOUS if you do not want to have to sign in. If you add your email to your google/blog account then I have the option of directly responding to you; otherwise, check back on the post for updated comments within a day or two. Thanks for reading!