Ours is doing ok. Everything got a late start, just like the big farms, due to the colder spring. I planted 10 tomatoes, and 9 are growing. The tenth mysteriously disappeared- the WHOLE PLANT was just gone one day. I have no idea what happened to that. Last I knew, there were not a whole lot of natural tomato predators. My rhubarb plant is huge, and Dave put in several rows of lettuce and spinach and those are growing pretty big now. However, I'm wondering if some animal got in and rolled around, because several plants were upright yesterday but now are sort of on their side.
We also have several fruit trees- a cherry and two apple- and we just planted 5 blueberry bushes this year. The strawberry patch is growing great, but never a strawberry do we get to eat...the rascally animals always eat them first. Same with our raspberry bushes we planted which they have chewed down to the nubs three years running. Fortunately, our next door neighbors have some and share the picking rights. The cherry tree was disappointing this year- just a handful of cherries. The rest never showed up or else were eaten by the birds. And our apple trees just went in last year. There are about 5 apples on each tree, but we'll see if they actually make it to eating stage.
We also have about 5 containers of herbs, like basil, cilantro, rosemary, thyme, and chives. Yum! Problem with those is I usually forget to use them.
We're trying to plant a lot of food on our lot, especially things that are on the dirty dozen (those fruits and veggies that have the most pesticides in them). or are terribly expensive in stores but easy to grow, like the herbs. It's going to take a few years to get it all up and going, but hopefully we'll be in pretty good shape 5 years from now.
We want to get another cherry tree and maybe a pear...and I would like to get a fence for our raspberry and strawberry areas...after 4 years, I think I deserve more than one strawberry!!
From Rich Mullins' Land of My Sojourn: "Nobody tells you when you get born here how much you'll come to love it and how you'll never belong here. So I'll call you my country, but I'll be lonely for my home...I wish that I could take you there with me." And that describes my view on earth living. Join me for periodic updates on our sojourn through this world.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
3 comments:
I love to read your comments! You may not see your comment posted immediately because I review them first.
Comment as NAME or ANONYMOUS if you do not want to have to sign in. If you add your email to your google/blog account then I have the option of directly responding to you; otherwise, check back on the post for updated comments within a day or two. Thanks for reading!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yay! A new post. Thanks, Keturah! It sounds like you're off to a really good start! I'm excited about the blueberries and the strawberries you'll have next year. Way to be GREEN!
ReplyDelete-Heather
Give those strawberries another year--we've had ours for about 3 years now, and this year we finally got a LOT of them :) Have you tried bird netting over top of your strawberries? I swear, the birds peck at those berries...
ReplyDeleteAbout the missing tomato plant and "fallen" plants--I would not be surprised if the wind did that. My corn and other tall-ish plants tend to topple a bit after a strong storm or windy day. They usually recover alright. One tomato plant of ours snapped off completely after a harsh wind, so maybe that happened to you, too, and the wind totally blew the plant away...
The lettuce and spinach recovered...I wonder if it was the heat. The wind may have taken away the plant...and I think that I will try netting. The birds and rabbits are really bold!
ReplyDelete