From Rich Mullins' Land of My Sojourn: "Nobody tells you when you get born here how much you'll come to love it and how you'll never belong here. So I'll call you my country, but I'll be lonely for my home...I wish that I could take you there with me." And that describes my view on earth living. Join me for periodic updates on our sojourn through this world.
Monday, August 25, 2008
The Summons
So, I went to get the mail today (I've never gotten over the childhood glee of getting the mail). And I go through it...a credit card bill, some election literature, a piece of junk mail...and...MY NAME IN CAPS with a very official government document informing me I've been selected for jury duty. Now, I'm 31 years old, registered and voted in nearly every election since I turned 18, and win all kinds of drawings (everything from a Cabbage Patch Doll when I was eight to a mountain bike to gift cards at my work picnic). But despite this winning-ness, I've never been selected for a jury until now. The irony of it all...while I think it would be pretty interesting (as long as I'm not on some murder case or something that would really gross me out) they scheduled me for my first full-time week back at work. I don't think I have any option...so I guess the beginning of October will find me in a jury pool rather than at my workplace. I'll let you know if I get selected (if I'm able to, that is...I'm sure they will tell us rules of whatever we are or are not allowed to say outside of court).
Labels:
General
5 comments:
I love to read your comments! You may not see your comment posted immediately because I review them first.
Comment as NAME or ANONYMOUS if you do not want to have to sign in. If you add your email to your google/blog account then I have the option of directly responding to you; otherwise, check back on the post for updated comments within a day or two. Thanks for reading!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Exciting! I am 57 and have NEVER been selected, but always thought I would like to be.
ReplyDeleteAs you indicate, though, the timing could always be a problem!
It will be an exciting adventure.
Hopefully it won't be a jury that needs to be sequestered...do they allow for that?
Wow! I think jury duty would be so incredibly interesting! My mom did it a couple years ago. She took the bus downtown every day from Bloomington and would go shopping over her lunch hour. It sounded pretty glamorous! When it was all over we hear "the story." I'm hoping that some day I'll get summoned, too!
ReplyDelete-Heather
I'm with your mom, I think I'd like to have a go at it as well! Keep us posted!
ReplyDeleteI'm jealous! I've always wanted to get called up...my little brother, Shawn got to last year...the only problem would be, what to do with my monkeys while I'm there? Do they pay for day care?
ReplyDeleteMy notification says that in some situations, they pay for child care. Forms are available at the court. I think that kind of thing depends on your jurisdiction. Also, I know that our county cut back the juror pay from $20/day to $10/day. Just not sure if that's already in effect, or happens next year. Fortunately, my work pays full rate while I'm on jury duty.
ReplyDelete