Sunday, October 20, 2013

Spiced Carrot Muffins (or Bread)

This won't be a recipe blog, but I wanted to share a delicious recipe that fits right into fall.  I found this recipe on Pinterest (of course!).  The blogger calls them Banana, Carrot, and Greek Yogurt Muffins but I think Spiced Carrot Muffins sounds tastier (and, now that I'm looking over her post, that's what Martha Stewart called them, too!)



I adapted them for high altitude by:
  • Decreasing the sugar by 1 1/2 teaspoons
  • Using pourable yogurt instead of Greek (we can't get Greek yogurt here and high altitude recipes need more liquid anyway)
  • I made one batch decreasing the leavening by 1/8 t, one decreasing 1/4 t, and one just as is.  All turned out well.  So I think I will probably stick with decreasing 1/8 t.
I also mixed my own pumpkin pie spice (1T ground cinnamon, 3/4 t ground ginger, 1/4 t ground cloves). I would have added 3/4 t ground nutmeg to this mix but it wasn't at my spice store. 

Those of you dwelling at sea level or close can just make this according to the posted recipe.

My tips and observations after making this three times:
  • A double batch works well in a 9x13 pan or the Pampered Chef stoneware large bar pan
  • It cooks great as bars and I assume would also work well as bread (much less work than muffins in my opinion).
  • I am going to put a little frosting on them for Mirabel's half birthday this week. Cream cheese frosting would be delicious!
  • They taste sweet and delicious and the bread is very moist.  The pumpkin pie spice flavor makes these perfect for fall. 
  • There is much less sugar in these than normal bread but they still taste sweet.  I did use plain yogurt but that has sugar here, so my version might be a bit sweeter than if you use plain yogurt without added sugar.
  • I didn't put raisins in because I haven't bought any here and that didn't have any ill effects.
  • I forgot to put my shredded carrots for one batch and they still turned out well...albeit more crumbly than when the carrots are baked in.

This is a new favorite fall recipe for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! You may not see your comment posted immediately because I review them first.

Comment as NAME or ANONYMOUS if you do not want to have to sign in. If you add your email to your google/blog account then I have the option of directly responding to you; otherwise, check back on the post for updated comments within a day or two. Thanks for reading!