Thursday, October 24, 2013

Tutorial: Crossing the Street

There are certain things you take for granted in your life, like knowing how to cross the street.  Of course, anyone who has been around a child knows full well they don't take such knowledge for granted and you employ constant vigilance around roads, driveways, etc. until they start to catch on that you look both ways, hold the hand of the grown-up, and carefully walk.

It's not quite as simple here, because a lot of the crosswalks are unmarked, or people don't really pay attention to the lights, or it's just different than what we're used to.  We still look both ways, and we still pay attention to the lights, and we still grab the hands of our little girls. 

But we've also learned the value of what I will term the herd crossing.  When you need to cross a busy street, simply look around for someone else who looks like they are crossing.  I have learned that having a small child is a minor advantage, as cars and police officers will give you a slight preference.



WARNING: DO NOT GET SLOPPY.  Not everyone thinks your bambino is important enough to stop for, so constant vigilance is still important. 

 
Stand on the side of the road, looking to and fro, assessing the lights, when people seem to stop.  When the lead person steps off the curb, be ready.  Your time window is but short.  If you hesitate too long, another car will inevitably inch up and you'll have to wait for the next herd to assemble.  Inconspicuously attach yourself to the herd and you should be able to safely cross (and live to see another day).

 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds rather like Madison, WI. I was advised by a native "Never look a driver in the eye. Once they are convinced you have seen them, they will run you over because YOU should have stopped to let them pass."
    Papi

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! You may not see your comment posted immediately because I review them first.

Comment as NAME or ANONYMOUS if you do not want to have to sign in. If you add your email to your google/blog account then I have the option of directly responding to you; otherwise, check back on the post for updated comments within a day or two. Thanks for reading!