One thing I was a little concerned about in coming here was dogs. I am not a big fan. However, both girls are. I have probably petted more dogs since Miss M was 1 year old than I did in the 20 years prior. :) I especially don't like jumping (on me) and licking, though I think dogs have a great place for those who love them, and especially admire service and companion dogs and the way they improve the quality of life for their owners. (So if you are dog lover, don't take it personally. Someone has to care for the animals. I just hope it won't be me.)
At any rate, I knew there were a lot of stray dogs here, as well as rooftop guard dogs, and I was concerned about how they might interact with the girls. There is a big difference between seeing someone in a US park and asking to pet their dog and having a stray come up to you in Peru. (At least that is what I thought coming in.)
I've been pleasantly surprised to find that although there are a lot of strays, they leave you alone and I have never felt that the girls or I were threatened when out and about. Most of the time the dogs that wander the streets don't even bark at you or pay much attention. In fact, the worst interaction happened when two tiny dogs decided to bark up a storm when we dared to walk on the sidewalk near their house.
All that said, here's a compilation of dogs we saw when out and about (this isn't even all of them and doesn't include pics of any rooftop dogs).
 |
| Regular in the street dog. |
 |
| This one scared A, even though it didn't do anything. I think it was the size. |
 |
| Big dog, but very friendly. |
 |
Little dog near our house.
|
 |
A sign in the park reminding people to scoop the poop. I am not sure if the numerous poop piles
on sidewalks and roads come from mostly strays, or also from people who walk their dogs.
I could have taken lots of pictures of piles of dog poop that no one has scooped,
but I thought this sign was better. You're welcome. :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to read your comments! You may not see your comment posted immediately because I review them first.
Comment as NAME or ANONYMOUS if you do not want to have to sign in. If you add your email to your google/blog account then I have the option of directly responding to you; otherwise, check back on the post for updated comments within a day or two. Thanks for reading!