Friday, October 18, 2013

A few of my favorite things....

We've been here for two months now...I just realized that this week.  And I thought I would share a few of my favorite things about living in Peru.

Pretty flowers in the yard 

We've got a lot of flowers in our yard, including these beautiful roses.  There is also a cactus, a "Tinkerbell tree" (no flowers on that right now- maybe it will appear in the future), several bushes and a few other flowers scattered about.  I have anything but a green thumb, so I am hoping that Flor's watering and my benign neglect will be enough to keep them going.  Because of the weather here, they seem to flower pretty consistently- we always have some flowers in the yard.


Preferencia (preference)

There are four groups that get preference here: elderly, disabled, pregnant women, and parents with small kids.  Thanks to our toddler, I qualify for the latter category.  In the mornings, when I take Miss M to school, I've also got A with me.  We always have a seat on the combi because if there isn't one, people move to give me their seat.  And when I pay our rent (done by going to the bank and depositing money in the landlord's account), I automatically get bumped to the front of the line.  A major advantage when there always seem to be about 50+ people in line.  They have special lines in grocery stores for these "preference" categories.  I've only been moved to the front of the line once (I don't exert my privilege) but that was nice. 

And when we were coming through Lima, we got shuttled to the front of the security line, as did everyone else with small kids.
A sign on the combi- doesn't show moms with small kids but some of them do.
Sign in the grocery store- note mom in the middle with small kid. 
They extend the same preference to dads, too.


Not doing routine cleaning

Flor does a fantastic job of cleaning and it is such a treat to not have to do the sweeping, bathroom cleaning, vacuuming, etc.  Dave washes almost all of the dishes- so it's just the day-to-day picking up that is in my bucket.  I think that will be an adjustment when we return to the states and can no longer afford cleaning help. 

A taste of home

My best friend always said that she was making a beeline for our house in case of natural disaster since we have so much food in our pantry.  Cereal topped the list.  Our cereal variety is much more limited and we're paying more per box than we ever did in the states, but we managed to find some sales on corn flakes and stocked up.  Gluten free cereal that works for breakfast and an easy snack about town for the littles?  Sure thing....oh...and we've also been stocking up on milk.  Much easier to do when it's UHT and you don't need to keep it in the fridge.  We get it for about 33% off.

Part 1 of our Cereal Storage- Dave made me stop buying cereal

Part 2- Cereal and Milk (bottom shelf)


We are liking being here, miss some aspects about home (especially the people) but are starting to settle in.  We enjoy staying connected via Skype, email, and Facebook!

4 comments:

  1. I have to admit when you moved I realized I was loosing my first stop in the event of a zombie apocalypse LOL :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, being prego with 2 toddlers in tow, i could really get used to moving to the front of the line! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preferencia, wow.
    We don't really have it here in the Czech Republic. Not in queues, where it really could come useful for all those groups... But there is an unwritten, unofficial rule you get taught from childhood: that you vacate your seat on public transport for elderly people, pregnant women etc. Foreigners are often pleasantly surprised by that and it's a nice thing to know about your nation. :-)
    Plus there are designated seats for disabled people (other people can sit there, but they are expected to vacate them if asked to) on public transport, the ones closest to the entrance, and on long distance trains there are usually designated carriages for mothers / families with children.
    But still nothing quite like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the US we have something similar on public transport, that you are supposed to vacate the seats up front for someone who is disabled or old or pregnant or whatnot. I have since learned that preferencia is the law, so technically you can assert it in any situation though I have never done so. In any situation where it seemed to matter someone has always offered it to me (buses and waiting in line to pay bills).

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! You may not see your comment posted immediately because I review them first.

Comment as NAME or ANONYMOUS if you do not want to have to sign in. If you add your email to your google/blog account then I have the option of directly responding to you; otherwise, check back on the post for updated comments within a day or two. Thanks for reading!